Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The "ALL" Trips Me Up

Scripture:
"Before him there was not king like him who turned to the LORD with all his heart and with all his soul and with all his might, according to the law of Moses; nor did any like him arise after him." 2 Kings 23:25

Observation:
Josiah's lifestyle stands as a split in time. There was none before him nor was there one after that lived his life as he did. He set an example that redefined what it meant to pursue God.

Application:
What will be said of me? At some point in the future my heart will stop beating and I will go home. In the wake of my death, I wonder what will my kids say? My friends? My family? Those I work with? My wife? Most importantly, what will God say?

Regardless of what others would say, there is something that I know. Deep down, I fully realize that I am not pursuing God with all that I have. Those words used to describe Josiah haunt me. ALL his heart. ALL his soul. ALL his might. ALL. Why did God have to use those three letters. If it just said with his heart, his soul and his might; then I would have some wiggle room. I could justify where I am. But the "all" trips me up.

Prayer:
If I knew how to do this on my own, then I would not be in the situation that I face. I am hopeless when it comes to pursuing You as I should. I can't do it. I need You to do a work in my heart, soul and might. As best I can from where I am, I turn to You this morning and declare with all that is within me that my greatest desire is to pursue a relationship with You that is deeper than anything I have ever experienced. I pray that You help me find a higher standard of purity, a clearer sense of vision and a firmer sense of security as I daily discover Your purpose for my life. Guide my every choice and my every decision. I have failed You so many times in the past, but I am grateful that Your Grace has removed my guilt. I live before You today a man forgiven of much. I want to walk before You tomorrow as a man who has accomplished much.

No comments: