Thursday, August 28, 2008

Acting Faithfully

Scripture:
"Beloved, you are acting faithfully in whatever you accomplish for the brethren…" 3 John 5

Observation:
John did not single out individual actions of Gaius to recognize them as being good. He says, "in WHATEVER you accomplish, you are ACTING FAITHFULLY. Through this passage I feel that God is reminding me that what I do is not nearly as important as how I do it. He wants me to act faithfully in what ever I do. What are some practical things I can do to ensure the faithfulness of my labor?

Application:
First, I need to make sure that I only imitate what is good. In verse 11, John speaks to the importance of this. There are so many examples to follow. So many books to be read. So much counsel to receive. There is no shortage of knowledge or information. The trouble is that it is not all good. I need to guard my heart and mind against following evil. It is so easy to get confused and in that substitute good advice for Holy wisdom or insight. I need to never settle.

Second, I need to make sure that I confront issues and not cover them up. In verse 9, John totally calls out some man named Diotrephes. He was setting an example for us in doing this. Confronting people is hard work. It is the one instance when turning the other cheek or a blind eye is the easiest path. Easiest must not take front seat to obedience to God. I am called to protect the flock. I am a shepherd for those that God has given to me. When their actions put them at risk or the actions of another threaten their safety; I must act.

Third, I need to celebrate success. John starts off this passage in verse 2 by celebrating the growth in the life of Gaius. I solve problems. That is the basis of most plans I create. In doing this, I have a tendency to look for things broken and blow right past things done well. I need to make sure that I slow down from time to time and celebrate the success God has brought both in my life and the life of others.

Prayer:
Father God, you made the earth by Your power. You established the earth by Your wisdom. By Your understanding, the heavens were stretched out. I am stupid before You. All the wisdom I can muster falls short of even making sense in Your presence. Your voice is the only thing in my life worthy of hearing. Your wisdom pouring out of me is all that is acceptable as good. I pray today for a movement of You. Help me seek and find only that which is good. Give me the courage to be a man of valor who does not shrink back from confronting tough issues. Create inside of me the confidence I need to call something a success and celebrate it with others. Above all, I ask that You ground me in Your great love. May all that I do be based on Your loving desire to be reconciled with this lost and dying world.

No comments: