Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dirty Feet

Scripture:
"Simon Peter said to Him, "Lord, then wash not only my feet, but also my hands and my head." Jesus said to him, "He who has bathed needs only to wash his feet, his body is clean; and you are clean?" John 13:9-10

Observation:
Often times I struggle when I read the stories of Jesus. I don't struggle with believing them; my struggle is the application of them to my daily life. I often sit and wonder what is the lesson for me? This morning, however, is different. As I read this conversation between Jesus and Peter, I see the application quite clearly.

Application:
I am sure of my salvation. There are definitely times that I doubt it. I mean, I look at some of the things that I struggle with and wonder how I can feel that way. There are days I look to the heavens and the coldness in my heart makes the whole thing feel like a farce. There are moments when God goes silent and the deafness in my ears drives me to the point of abandoning the whole thing. But over time, I have come to understand the lesson that Jesus is teaching Peter in this passage. My salvation is set. It is secure. That said, I am also still walking through a fallen world, living in a fallen body. My feet will get dirty.

Seasons of doubt, struggle, and coldness will come. I am going to sin. I am going to lose my way. I will blow it more times than I can count. In those moments, I often run to God feeling like I need a total do over. I need to be cleaned from head to toe. Then the most amazing thing happens. Jesus gently reminds me, you are clean bro. You're clean.

Prayer:
There is no way that I can process the level of grace that You provide to me. I look at how I treat my wife and kids and it honestly makes me doubt that You could possibly have the patience with me that Your scripture teaches me that You have. I need Your help in understanding my standing with You. I pray that you open the eyes of my heart to see clearly the level of grace that has been poured out on me. In moments of failure, I pray that you allow the voice of my Savior and Shepherd to ring in my ears, "You are clean Jason. Your feet are a little dirty, but I can take care of that." I pray that you also allow a full measure of that grace to pour over into my relationships with others. Help me to walk as You walked. To love as You loved. To forgive as You forgave. In all these things, help me to walk before You in purity of deed, and absolute in mission.

No comments: