Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Boldness

Scripture:
"Simon Peter answered, 'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.' And Jesus answered him, 'Blessed are You, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.'" Matthew 16:18

Observation:
It was a bold statement that Peter made. It is easy to miss out of the fact that the disciples missed out on who Jesus was. I am sure that in this moment, they were glued to the words out of Jesus' mouth as they hoped to hear clearly about who he was. Then He asked a question that surely jolted them, “who do you say I am?”

The words had to ring out in their ears. Hesitation had to be tempting as the silence grew deafening. Then Peter blurts it out. In a moment of boldness he claimed Jesus to be what he believed Him to be in his heart.

Application:
Boldness does not come from contrived thoughts or the teaching of others. Boldness springs forth from thoughts I own. It spouts from the seeds planted in my own heart by God Himself.

That is the beauty of this passage. Peter did not hear a message listing twenty-one reasons why Jesus is the Christ. God revealed it to him.

Prayer:
Father, as this passage circles around in my mind, I am convicted by my own laziness. It is easier to sit through a great message and learn something about You that it is to seek You on my own.

I am reminded today of just how important it is for You to teach me directly. I ask that You teach me to be mentored by other men, but to not allow that to be a surrogate for learning from You directly.

I ask that You take control of the quiet times that I spend with You and begin to teach me the things that You desire for me to know and be bold about. Protect me from self-deception and allow me to discern between what is You and what is me. Open the doors of my heart and fill it with every good revelation You desire for me to own.

No comments: