Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Simple Servant

Scripture:
"Paul, a bond servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ." Titus 1:1

Observation:
In my world use of the term servant or slave has really lost it's meaning. Slavery or servitude is only something that I read about. I have never seen it. I have never experienced it. As such, it is often easy to miss out on its full meaning. Paul introduces himself as a bond-servant. In Paul's day, these were the lowest of slaves. They were bound to service, normally because of something that they had done, and expected absolutely nothing in return.

Application:
As I look at this passage this morning I am held captive by it. It is such a simple sentence yet it so revealing. It begs the question, how do I view my relationship with God? It is easy to give the Sunday school answer and say that I am in service to God, but if I examine my lifestyle, attitude, expectations and prayer life; what does the evidence say? Do I live my life as a bond-servant to God or does the evidence say that I live my life expecting God to work on my behalf?

Prayer:
Father, I must confess to You this morning my pride and self-centeredness. As I examine my life today I realize just how self-motivated I am. I want things. Most of my prayers center on what I want from You or need for You to do for me. Most of my interactions are driven by the prevailing force of my desires and needs.

I need to learn to live a more surrendered life. My old nature is still strong inside of me. That old nature constantly reminds me of my needs, wants, desires, rights and comforts. That old nature will destroy anything in it's path in pursuit of what it desires. That old nature scares me. It was a brutal master to which I have no desire to return.

I ask that You help me today to die to myself. Help me to live a sensible life and focus only on Your righteous desire for others to experience Your kindness. Allow me to walk in sound understanding of Your Word and to be able to express that understanding to others. Fill me with the strength required in order to persevere. Help me to forgive those who attack me, push through problems that tire me, and find joy in the midst of doing the right thing.

There are many things that fight for my attention and focus. The only hope I have in living my life for You is that You bring Your kingdom down to earth and make it real to me. I beg that You move before me today in tangible ways that remind me of just how real You are and provide me the evidence I need to find strength which will continue me in my journey back home to You.

No comments: