Friday, December 12, 2008

Expanding My View

Today's Passage: Hebrews 3 & 4

Scripture:
"For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end…" Hebrews 3:14

Observation:
There is no need to issue a warning to hold on unless something is coming to create the need. There is no need to pull the alarm, unless you know there is something wrong. No one instructs others to do any type of preparation unless they are sure that something of need is approaching.

In the same vain, Paul would have never issued a statement such as this unless he knew that every Christian would one day stand face-to-face with something that opened them up to doubt.

Application:
It is safe to say that being tempted to doubt or being pressed to the verge of confessing that God does not exist is a given. There is no way around it. Eventually; it comes. The scriptures are full of verses such as this one which remind me to hold fast. The temptation is not a problem; it is how I chose to respond.

Prayer:
Father God, Hebrews 4:15-16 contains one of my favorite assurances in the Bible. Knowing that Jesus, my High Priest, has faced every temptation I now face and fully understands the weight of those temptations offers me amazing peace. I approach You today in confidence not because I am without sin, but because I know my sins have been dealt with by the power of Your Son.

I ask today that You strengthen my belief in You. I can only be as strong as my understanding of Your truth, Your works, Your ways, Your desires, Your power and all the other things that are You. I pray that my view of You be expanded so that I can taste the fullness of who You are.

No comments: