Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Light Inside

Scripture:
"Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16

Observation:
Jesus compares the work of God inside of me as a light to the world. Lights have to shine. They make no sense or serve no purpose if they are not shining.

Application:
I have a choice. God has planted something beautiful inside of me. He intends for me to tend to it. When I think about light in the time of Christ, I am reminded that the only source of manufactured light in the time of Christ was the flame of a fire. Fire has to be cared for. You must choose to tend to it or it will be extinguished. This is the same for my faith. I must choose to care for it, or it will be useless.

I have a mission. "That they", those are the words of Christ. He did not say, "So that you". God does do things for me on an individual basis. Everything that He provides me is designed to give Him glory and bring hope to the lost. He gives me peace, joy, hope, possessions, family, success, and all the other wonderful things that fill my life; but He gives them to me in context of the mission of my calling.

I have a caution. "In such a way." This caution is so subtle that I almost missed it. My motives, attitudes, and demeanor matter. Sharing my faith with others is of no use if it is done so in a manner that prevents them from giving God glory. Then I have failed. The light of Christ is not intrusive. It is not arrogant. It is not self-serving. It can not be manufactured. The true light of Christ is a byproduct of me living my life in obedience to Him.

Prayer:
It is easy sometimes to forget that bringing your light into the world has never been easy. Ever sense Adam fell to sin in the garden, Satan has been busy building a world designed to fight against that light. More than anything in my life, I desire to see this light shine inside of me. I want the product of my life to reflect You to the world in a manner that gives You glory. I pray that my heart be ever more burdened for the mission to which I have been called. Guide my choices today and I pray that every decision I make will brighten the light You have entrusted to me.

No comments: