Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Helper

Today's passages: John 15 & 16:1-16

Scripture:
"When the helper comes, who I will send to you from the Father...And He will convict the world concerning sin, and righteousness and judgment." John 15:26 & 16:8

Observation:
Jesus did not leave us empty handed. Upon His return to heaven, this promise was given to us; the Helper. A helper to replace the role Jesus played in the life of the disciples. The Holy Spirit of God.

Application.
When I think about the role Jesus played in the life of the disciples, I think about it terms of his relationship with them. Jesus walked ahead of them, modeled the right things, empowered them and instructed them. His leadership with them was very conversational. He was constantly talking with them. As I study this scripture and think of the role of the Holy Spirit in my life, I realize that there are three main ways I must look to the Holy Spirit in my life.

The first is concerning sin. This covers all the "what not to do's". This was a big issue in Jesus' relationship with the disciples. He helped them sort through the legalistic garbage of the day and understand what true sin was.

The second is concerning righteousness. This covers purity. There is a huge gap between religious righteousness and the righteousness modeled by Jesus. My relationship with Jesus makes me righteous. The attitudes, values, beliefs, and motivations of my heart are where this righteousness must be reflected. The Holy Spirit is here to train me in how to allow those changes to take place.

The third is concerning judgment. When I think about decisions that I make on a daily basis, I realize that everything which occurs in my life is ushered in my a choice I made. There is no a single thing in my life that can't be traced back to something I chose to do. Some of these decisions are made consciously and others are so routine I do not even realize I made them. The Holy Spirit is here to help me capture every choice and to live my life alert to the work of my Father. Good judgment is essential to living a life of obedience.

Prayer:
There are many days that I find myself feeling quite lonely. I get lost, confused and beat down by the weight of living in this fallen world. In those moments I often wish I had a clear answer from You. Better direction. A tangible presence.

As I study Your word this morning I am taken back to the promise of Your Son to send a Helper and am convicted of just how little impact that Helper has on my daily life. I pray that You open my mind and heart to learn how to connect with this promised Helper.

The Holy Spirit was given to me to serve just as Jesus served the disciples. I pray that I learn to hear His voice speaking to me about sin, righteousness and good judgment.

No comments: