Monday, May 2, 2011

Dealing With Others

Read: Romans 14
“Therefore let us not pass judgment on one another any longer, but rather decide never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of a brother.” Romans 14:13

Examine:
One of the more difficult aspects of Christianity is dealing with other Christians. This is especially the case for matters that are not forbidden in the scripture. These gray areas spur debates and cause strife. This passage in Romans outlines several things that are helpful in walking through these situations.

Apply:
The first thing that sticks out to me is that I should refrain from offering an opinion on such matters. It is senseless and stupid to offer an opinion on gray areas that denominations war over. These arguments cannot be won. The most likely outcomes of these discussions are splits and confusion. Don’t chime in on what does not matter.

The second thing that is clear is I am not to pass judgment nor should I allow myself to be judged; EVER. For me, I should never allow the words or actions of another to weaken my faith nor should I allow my words or actions to negatively impact the faith of another. Each believer will answer for his own actions before God.

Finally, I have to live in a way that honors my faith and conscience. Paul states it beautifully this way: “The faith that you have, keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who has no reason to pass judgment on himself for what he approves. But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats, because the eating is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin”

Pray:
When I read this passage it becomes clear to me that the call of the scripture is for me to err on the side of caution when using my freedom, but to err on the side of liberality when observing the freedom used by others. I do not want to get caught dishonoring my personal convictions nor do I want to be found weakening the faith of others by making laws where non exist.

Strengthen my faith so that I may live this life free of guilt and help me not be envious of the freedoms used by others. I pray that my faith would be grounded in honoring You, Your name, and Your mission. I ask that my interactions with all people not leave them feeling splintered and confused but rather affirmed, loved, and hungry to know You more.

No comments: