Friday, May 27, 2011

Deeper Still

Read: 1 Corinthians 9
“Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. “ 1 Corinthians 9:24

Examine:
Paul reminds the Church at Corinth that while grace and salvation come free of charge, reward and blessings come at a cost. Only discipline, endurance and effort will win the prize.

Apply:
I think for me the challenge is remembering that there is a prize. This should not be hard but honestly there are days that the things of heaven seem distant. I know they are there and will happen one day but the things I am sacrificing are tangible and sitting right in front of me. This makes setting them aside a challenge.

Pray:
I read this chapter from Paul and I find it challenging. He had such a strong view of heavenly rewards that he sacrificed everything to pursue them. He had such a deep sense of joy from his obedience that he considered it an obligation to share Christ. He was so desperate to see others come to faith in Christ that he was willing to endure anything to see them saved. Let’s be honest a moment, that is not what my faith looks like. I measure the cost and gripe about it. I walk through this life with others and do not carry a sense of desperation regarding their salvation. My faith is still very me centered and I acknowledge that to You this morning. Acknowledging this weakness excites me. I know that when You bring about conviction You also bring about the power to change.

I am in the deepest pursuit of You than I have ever been in my life, but I want to go deeper still. The pain of the past year has been more than worth the joy of seeing Your glory come to the poor, the widowed and the orphaned. The sacrifices made have paled in comparison to seeing You bring encouragement and strength to other saints who have sacrificed far more than I will ever know. I pray that You continue to break my heart for the things that break Yours and center my joy, my expectations, and my ambition on the prize that will ultimately be mine when I join You in the life to come.

No comments: