Sunday, May 22, 2011

Points of Navigation

Points of Navigation

Read: 1 Corinthians 5
“Therefore let us celebrate the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.” 1 Corinthians 5:8

Examine:
GPS devices are incredible in their ability to pinpoint their location on the earth. These devices basically work by measuring the distance between themselves and three satellites in the sky. These measurements allow the device to accurately locate itself on the map. Just as three points are critical to navigation on earth, they are also critical in spiritual navigation. Paul lists three such points of measurement in this verse: the celebration of Christ, separation from legalism, and separation from carnality.

Apply:
When Paul talks about celebrating the feast he is talking about celebrating the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus. He is talking about celebrating the presence of God, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, and the promise of eternal life. My salvation is not a burden to bear it is a privilege to celebrate. Joy should radiate inside of me and bring a deep sense of life and purpose. The degree to which genuine celebration is present in my life is good indicator of my distance from God’s will for my life.

Paul says not to celebrate the feast with old leaven. For me this means to stay away from the past traditions of legalism and empty religion. My salvation and good standing with God is not based on my adherence to a code. Christ set me free. I am no longer subject to judgment, condemnation, or regulations. Grace has been freely given to me by faith in Jesus Christ. The degree to which legalism controls my judgment helps further indicate my location in God’s will for my life.

Paul also says not to celebrate the feast by modeling the behavior of a heathen. The freedom afforded to me in Christ is not to be used to feed my carnal lusts. This freedom is not a license to sin or live a life that in any way could be mistaken as immoral or corrupt. My freedom should lovingly draw me near to Christ and release me to enjoy the fruit of the earth, fellowship with others, and God’s willingness to freely welcome us all into His kingdom.

Pray:
I want to celebrate salvation, be free of legalism and steer clear of immorality. If I had those three things unleashed in my life I cannot think of much else I could desire. This morning as I assess my life I recognize that I am not where I want to be in regards to Your will for my life. My faith in Christ is not a strong source of celebration. I am not sure why this is but I do not find my relationship with Jesus to be my complete source of joy. I want that to change. I have so many questions and my mind always races to figure things out. Salvation lies beyond logic. There is not a single aspect of it that makes one bit of logical sense. Salvation is understood and celebrated only in the Spirit. I ask that You help me deeply connect with the joy of my salvation today.

No comments: