Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Principals Regarding Hope

Read: Romans 15
“Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13

Examine:
Paul states three really important principals in this passage regarding hope: 1) God is the God and Source of hope. 2) Connecting with God as the source of hope can only be done according to His truth. 3) The hope of God is given so that it can be shared with others.

Apply:
God alone is the only source of true hope. I look to many things for hope. I put my hope in outcomes, I put my hope in people, I put my hope in finances, and I put my hope in my performance. God can use all of those things as methods for Him to deliver His hope; but He is the source. My relationship with God has to become my main focus for my hope.

The scriptures are critical to finding true hope because they ground me in truth. Joy and peace from hope can only result from me having a proper belief in the character and purposes of God. I can hope all day long but if my hope is not grounded in truth it will fail.

The hope that God gives to me is not given for me to horde. He desires that His hope overflow for the benefit of others. As God strengthens and encourages me I must allow that hope to touch the lives of others.

Pray:
Hope is not something that is just given. Hope involves work. That is the model that I see in the scripture. It is rare to hear of You speak to hope and not speak to endurance, surrender, sacrifice, and obedience. I can’t sit on my hands and find hope. Hope is found in the journey. Hope draws near as I persevere in drawing near to Your will and purposes.

This presents to me a very tricky balance. The works of my hand cannot produce hope and yet I cannot find hope unless I put my hands to Your work. I ask that You lead me in this today. Help me to see You as the source of Hope in all that I do. Ground me in Your truth today so that my hope will not be in vain. As You pour Your hope into me I pray that I will be attentive to the needs of others to have their hope restored or strengthened.

No comments: