Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Struggle of the Ages

Examine:
The time that Paul was referring to is the time set aside for us to wait for Christ’s return. This time is often referred to as the night with the return of Christ being referred to as the day. The temptation and opportunity for evil are always greater during the darkness of night. Paul gives three challenges to us in the closing verses of chapter 13: stay awake, stay clean, and put on Jesus.

Apply:
To wake up means that I accept a hard reality; this life is not home for me nor is it my reward. One day Jesus will come back. One day everything this life holds will be done away with. One day the pain and suffering of earth will be no more. When that day comes, in the blink of an eye, everything created by man will be swept away and the only thing left mattering will be what was complete according to God’s will.

Staying clean is not about perfection. I am of the spirit but I am also of the flesh. Mistakes will happen. The issue is that I am not to live a lifestyle of sin. Paul says to cast it off which indicates that there is certainly some work involved on my part. I have to determine in my heart that I will not long for things that are of the flesh. I have to fight the good fight and put my desires into submission.

Putting on Jesus is the fun part. Jesus was the man. He walked the earth unlike any man before Him and unlike any other man ever will. He was bold, courageous, and fearless. He was kind, humble, and generous. He was indwelled by the Holy Spirit, consumed by His devotion to the Father, and broken by His love for all people. God does not ask that I sit in the corner and just be a good little boy until He comes back to get me. The scriptures say the same ministry given to Jesus has been given to me. It is as if God and Jesus continually call me to get in the game and get after it. Pretty cool…

Pray:
I am not sure how to pray this morning. I want to ask You to wake me up. I want to ask You to clean me up. I want to ask You to help me put on Jesus. My spirit desires those things deeply. But I am also afraid and locked up. There is temporary relief in sleeping. There is intense, momentary pleasure in sin. There is something soothing in just being religious. Walking away from those three things and fully following after You is the struggle of the ages and that struggle is raging in me right now.

My rest and hope today is in knowing the while I do not know how to pray the Holy Spirit intercedes for me and Jesus is advocating on my behalf right now. That is the promise of the scriptures and the peace to which I cling this morning. Help me to be strong during this season of shaping and give me the wisdom I need to stay on course.

No comments: