Saturday, April 30, 2011

My New Default Setting

Read: Romans 12
“I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your body as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.” Romans 12:1-2

Examine:
There are two keys to hearing God clearly. The first has to do with surrendering your life as a living sacrifice. In verse one, the word “body” represents the totality of one’s life and activities. The second key deals with transformation. The key to this change is the mind. My mind is the control center of my attitudes, thoughts, feelings, and actions. One’s mind is continually made new by the spiritual input of God’s Word, prayer, and Christian fellowship. A new mind leads to a transformed lifestyle.

Apply:
Being separated from God is no longer the natural state of a believer. Through Christ I have been reconciled to God. I have been made righteous by my faith in Christ and His Lordship over my life. I am a new creature and my natural state now is fellowship with God. This is my new default setting. But like everything else on earth, nothing functions properly all the time. Sometimes my fellowship with God is cut off. When this happens, this scripture reminds me that there are only two causes for a believer to feel separated from God.

My life with God starts with submission. He desires that I give Him the totality of my life and all its activities. I have to come to Him with nothing held back. The moment I start taking things back or trying to control outcomes, I will begin to lose my connection with God. The moment I start trying to apply conditions to God’s claim on my life, I will lose my fellowship. The moment I stop viewing my life as a living (and life giving) sacrifice, is the very moment I begin to stray from the intimacy with God that is promised to me through Christ.

While my life with God starts with submission, it does not end there. Submission can only be maintained if I allow my mind to be continually renewed by God. The mind is essential. Attitudes, thoughts, feelings, and actions are all birthed from what I dwell on in my mind. Correctly applying the Word of God to my life, allowing the Holy Spirit to lead me in prayer, and being in accountability with a community of believers are the methods by which my mind is renewed. All three are required and if I am not diligent in pursuing them, separation from God will result.

Prayer:
This has been an amazing reminder today. I am struggling with You because I am trying to control the outcomes of my life. I still have very high opinions of how I believe things should go, and I lose heart when I don’t get my way. I am also struggling because I am not allowing the Holy Spirit to guide my prayers. My prayers right now are grounded in my attitudes, thoughts, feelings, and desired results.

Understanding where I am now, I just sit at Your feet today. As best I can from where I am, I lay my life back down. As best I can from where I am, I ask that Your Spirit teach me to listen and pray His thoughts; not my own. My only true ambition in life is peace with You and rest in Your presence. Strengthen me today to endure through to what You have already promised and have already made available to me.

No comments: