Saturday, April 23, 2011

Wide-Open Spaces

Read: Romans 5
“Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through Him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.” Romans 5:1-2

Examine:
Religion continues to be a great enemy of God as it persistently attempts to place requirements on salvation. The scriptures combat this thinking. There are no behavioral requirements on salvation in Christ. It is a free gift made available to all who will accept it by faith.

Apply:
In reading this passage there are three key things that I needed to hear today. First, there is absolutely zero reason to ever carry a sense of guilt, fear, condemnation or rejection. None. Not even the least little bit. I am good with God and NOTHING I do will ever affect that in the least. My standing with God is no longer based on my behavior or a standard set by any religious group. The only thing that matters as it relates to God and me is Jesus, His death for my sins, His resurrection, and His seat at the right hand of God.

Second, troubles are guaranteed. There is no escaping the fact that God will forge my character through circumstance. As a believer, I am called to not only accept this fact but to actually embrace it. The end result of suffering and trouble is hope. All I have to do is hold fast to my faith and endure to the end. Struggles allow me to see me for who I really am and to experience God deeper and that depth allows me to realize that He is even more worthy of my faith and praise.

The final reminder I received this morning has to do with rejoicing in God’s glory. I love the way the message translates verse two of this chapter, “We find ourselves standing where we always hoped we might stand—out in the wide open spaces of God’s grace and glory, standing tall and shouting our praise.” Wide-open spaces, standing tall, and shouting praise. Every ambition I have has these three outcomes as its objective. God’s glory is intended to supply these in abundance.

Pray:
I trade wide-open spaces for the cheap confines of religion and sin. Instead of standing tall, I often slump with disappointment. Instead of shouting praise, I often grumble over not getting my way. That is such a foolish way to live.

I am good with You. I acknowledge that to You. I am fully justified through Christ and there is nothing left undone. I ask that You help me tear down the fences that I have built and show me how to fully experience the wide-open spaces of Your grace. As troubles come, I pray that I experience fully the hope that they are designed to produce and I also ask that genuine praise develop as I learn to trust and experience You in this life. All that is Yours is mine and all that is in me belongs to You. Thank You for my life. Thank You for my salvation. Thank You for Your glory.

No comments: