Friday, April 1, 2011

Crossing the Jordan

Read: Deuteronomy 27-28 & John 10
“And on the day you cross over the Jordan to the land that the LORD your God is giving you…” Deuteronomy 27:2

Examine:
The discipline of the LORD and His preparation are very painful and testing seasons of life. These times bring with them a weight that is hard to carry and a scourging that makes it hard to breath. The days can become so long and dark that one’s heart can lose hope. This verse calls back into focus the promise of God that discipline and testing only last a little while.

Apply:
The past few months have represented an incredible time of testing and scourging for my family and me. I do not know that I have ever felt a heavier weight, sensed a deeper darkness, or wrestled with stronger emotions. In the middle of it all, God has been faithful and I have been acutely aware of His work. This week has represented a shift in my prayers and interaction with God. He has been reminding me daily that as long as I continue to follow His voice and bless His name I can rest knowing that the day to cross my own Jordan will come.

Pray:
Father, as I read Your word this morning and reflect on the promptings I hear in Your Spirit, I acknowledge to You my sense that You are ready to take us out of this place of testing and release us to pursue the mission You have for us. The work before us is incredible and the odds are impossible. That said, we are simply following Your voice and trust in You to lay low the things that come against us. As we move forward there are a few things on my heart. First, I do not want to forget where You have brought me from. I look back on the life we have lived over the past ten years and I never want to return to my former ways nor do I want to lose sight of the great growth You have allowed us to experience. Second, I ask that You continue to enable me to pursue Your heart and voice above all else and follow in obedience. The only plans that lead to Your heart and provision are the ones that align with Your will and mirror Your character. Finally, I want to stand firm on Your promise to deliver me. There are many things that tempt me to doubt Your provision, but I ask that You stir inside of me a boldness that matches the greatness of Your name.

No comments: