Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Light

Read: Deuteronomy 23-24 & John 8
“Again Jesus spoke to them, saying ‘I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.’” John 8:12

Examine:
Jesus spoke these words during the feast of booths. This was one of the major feasts observed by the Jews. Each afternoon of the seven days of this feast, priests and pilgrims gathered and four large oil lamps were lit. It was said that the light from these lamps was so bright that it penetrated every courtyard in Jerusalem. These lamps were likely burning as Jesus was telling the crowds that He was the true light.

Apply:
Jesus spoke. That is the first thing that just jumps out to me from this verse. Hebrews 13:8 tells me that Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever. He spoke then and I need to be reminded that He still speaks today. He is not silent. He is never distant. I can hear Him if I open my heart to accept what He is saying.

The second thing that I see in this verse is the reminder that there are a lot of things that compete with me receiving the light Jesus brings. In my mind I can see people standing and staring at the lamps burning at the temple. They would have been awestruck at the beautiful glow. All the while, the Light of the heavens was standing before them and most of them never really saw Him. The same happens to me today. There are many things that compete with me truly seeing Jesus. Many of them come in the form of religious rituals. Rituals are ok when used properly, but they are never as good as connecting personally with Jesus Himself.

The final thing I see in this text reminds me that the Light did not come into the world for me to live my life. He came so that I may live His life. I cannot follow Him and refuse to make choices with my life that differ radically from the choices I would make if I did not know Him. His presence should leave a marked difference in how the world perceives my lifestyle.

Pray:
This has been a hectic day that has been running wildly out of control since my feet hit the ground. There were a lot of things I needed to do this afternoon. There is still the mountain of tasks I have yet to complete, the upcoming trip I need to plan, the phone calls I’m already behind on, and the several emails that must be sent out. In the middle of that, the last thing I felt like doing was opening my Bible and finishing the quiet time I cut short this morning. I am really glad I followed Your leading and spent some time with You this afternoon.

My soul and spirit feel alive again and my lungs feel like they are able to fully expand. Tension has lifted and my anxiety has lessened. I needed to be reminded that You and You alone are my sole source of light. Help me to open my heart to Your voice, submit my ways to Your will, and live my days in pursuit of Your desires. There is nothing of worth I can do on my own. You are my rock, my provider, and my fortress. The weight of my mission belongs to You; not me. Forgive me for taking on more than You have asked of me. Help me to trust You and remind me daily that those who wait on You are never disappointed.

No comments: