Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Wellspring of Life

Read: Deuteronomy 15-16 & John 4
“The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of living water welling up to eternal life.” John 4:14

Examine:
Jesus referred to placing faith in Him as receiving a wellspring of living water and that the person who received that water would never thirst again.

Apply:
There are a couple of things about this verse that I sense this morning. First, I have to allow what I receive from Jesus to mature inside of me. Jesus did not say He would plant a wellspring of life in me. He said the water He gives “will become” a wellspring of life. The “will become” part takes time. Receiving Jesus is only the start of the process. I must stay engaged with the work of the Holy Spirit as he leads me in the process of transformation that God desires to bring about within me.

The second thing I sense this morning is the inadequacy of my own faith. I look at phrases like “living water” and “never thirst” and it leads me to realize the extent to which my faith still needs to grow. My connection with God through Jesus is intended to be the very pinnacle of my existence. It should be to me as food and water.

Pray:
Father, I know that You desire for my salvation and my relationship with You to be the very breath of my existence. I also know that my deepest desire is to experience You in this way. I realize that while this is our mutual desire, it is not yet my reality. There are still times when I view You more as the means to achieving all I want in life, not as the point of my life. I confess that to You this morning. I acknowledge the distance and express my desire to know you and experience You deeper.

No comments: