Monday, March 28, 2011

Four Tests of a Man

Read: Deuteronomy 19-20 & John 6
“Then the officers shall speak to the people, saying…” Deuteronomy 20:5

Examine:
In the verses that follow this one there are four tests that should be true about a man of God before he can be considered a valiant warrior. His home should be in order, his vineyard should be mature, he should fulfill his duties to his wife, and he should have a brave and true heart after God.

Apply:
I have to be the spiritual head of my home before I am anything else. That said, a strong home is not my goal in life. My goal in life has to remain getting into the fight for God and His kingdom. A strong home is simply a requirement. I cannot be effective for God in building His kingdom if I am weak in allowing Him to build my home.

Times have changed. In my world, people no longer live off of their vineyards. Our jobs now represent our vineyards since they are the source of our sustenance. I need to be a faithful laborer and make sure that my financial affairs are in order. It is hard to be a valiant warrior and continue the care of my home if I am not caring for my vineyard.

The relationship between a man and his wife is second only to a man’s relationship with Jesus. As I read the Bible there is no conclusion to be reached other than every aspect of my earthly existence is based on me loving my wife as Christ loved the church.

Finally, comes a brave and valiant heart. Jesus simplified the instructions for building a strong heart in John 6 when He told His disciples that the only way to accomplish this was to believe in Him. My beliefs about Jesus are paramount to the man I am becoming. If my views of Him are broken and splintered, then I will never accomplish anything for God.

Pray:
In each of these areas I am aware of nothing being intentionally held back. As best I can from where I am, my life is laid open before You. I pray that You continue to mold me into the man You desire. Help me to be a strong leader in my home. I desire for my kids to wake up each day and see a reliable model of Christ in their father. Bless the fruit of my vineyard. As I am faithful to sow seeds and work the land that You have given, I continue to trust in You for the harvest. Teach me to be a strong lover of my wife. There is no relationship on earth that compares to my marriage. Brandy is bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh. We are not two but one. Strip away the pride and selfishness that robs her of the husband that You desire for me to be. Father, there is nothing I want more in life than to believe more deeply in Jesus and to understand the life that You desire for me to live in following after Him. I pray that You continue to make clear the mission and path You have set out before me and that each day leads me to better model the heart of Christ to those around me.

No comments: