Saturday, March 5, 2011

Understanding Attacks

Read: Numbers 9-10 & 1 Peter 5
“Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.” 1 Peter 5:8

Examine:
The verse prior to this one commands that we cast off all our anxieties on God. Peter immediately balances that verse with this one. We are not to worry. Worry is a form of pride because it is a refusal to trust God with something. That said, we are not taken out of this world and while we are still in this world we have an enemy. He is vicious, he is on the prowl, and he has power that needs to be understood and respected.

Apply:
The subject of spiritual warfare is difficult to process. This morning I am sensing three things that I need to better understand. First, there are three types of pain a believer can experience; suffering, discipline, and attack. Suffering comes with the gig. If I am suffering for Jesus my prayers need to point towards resolve and strength to finish strong. Discipline is promised by God. He disciplines those He loves. My attitude during discipline needs to be submission and learning. Attacks are warfare. When attacks come I have to be engaged in the fight and use the tools available to me.

Second, I have to examine my heart to understand my motives. There are only two motivations in life. I am either looking to advance the kingdom of God or I am wanting to advance mine. If my efforts are intended for personal gain then I have to know that I will never be able to stand firm. The weapons of God are only useful to the mission of God.

Finally, I have to accept that the life of Christ is not about carving out a life of escape here on earth. This is war. Sides have been chosen, armies have been formed, and the fight is raging. God allows me to find seasons of green pastures and still waters in order for me to regain strength, but they are not permanent places. I have a tendency to make green pastures my objective and that is wrong. The objective is always to be effective in the fight.

Pray:
The more I learn the less I know. Father, applying what You have laid on my heart this morning lies beyond my capacity. I am complete dependent on You to supply the sober mind I need in order to apply these lessons to my life. I want to be joyful when You ask me to suffer, submissive when You discipline me, and valiant in taking on attacks. I want my motives to be pure. Help me sell out only for the advancement of Your kingdom. I understand that my mission is to stay engaged in the fight. Train me to be a good solider. I want to stay in the war as long as I can, take as much ground as I am able to take, and retire from this life to hear You say well done.

No comments: