Monday, March 14, 2011

Testing Spirits

Read: Numbers 23-24 & 1 John 4
“Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God…” 1 John 4:1

Examine:
There are two strong pillars that guide the testing of the spirit. The first is the command from Jesus in Matthew 7 to not judge. The second is found in John 7 when Jesus tells us to judge with right judgment. These two passages are not in conflict with one another. They form the boundaries for how we are to process the things that we hear. Do not accept everything but also do not be judgmental. We should test the things we hear with good judgment.

Apply
The testing of spirit is not about passing judgment on a person but is about using right judgment to determine the direction to follow. There are two tests found in this passage from John. First, a spirit from God will always have its core built around following after Jesus’ example. Jesus’ example was to always be about doing the Father’s work, modeling the Father’s heart, and waiting on the Father’s timing. The Spirit of God will never lead me to do anything else.

The second test is found in the fruit of the Spirit. The fruit of the Spirit from God will always be love. This fruit of love is not just affection for people I like, joy and passion for the life I live, or being a good friend to those close to me. First, it must be about deeply experiencing the perfect love of God and then allowing that love to secure me to the Father. Once I am secured by the perfect love of my Father, I am then able to extend that same perfect love to the world around me. The Spirit that is from God will always cast out fear, bring security, and press me to pursue others in love.

Pray:
“Though the vision tarries, wait for it.” That is what I keep hearing from You right now. That is the only thing I hear that seems to reflect Jesus and produce peace in me. Every other spirit I hear seems to create a burden and produce panic. So, I wait.

Father, it is hard to discern Your leading right now. I am susceptible to deception. My emotions are running high and the circumstances in which I am living continue to be exasperated by the crunching of time around me. I have always said I trust You with my provision, but this is the first time I have ever had to really mean it.

I pray that I continue to reflect Jesus in all that I say and do. Please do not allow me to act on a false spirit, but above that, I beg that You keep me far from speaking anything that does not lead others to You. The thought of leading people away from You is more than I can bear. I also ask that You anchor my soul to Your Spirit in perfect love. Your love is the only thing that can cast out my fear and keep me locked onto Your mission. I believe in You, Your Son, and Your Spirit. I do not want to give my life to another.

No comments: