Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Not Left Abandoned

Read: Joshua 1-2 & John 14
“I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.” John 14:18

Examine:
In this chapter Jesus begins to prepare His disciples for His departure to heaven. Throughout chapter 14 Jesus outlines several benefits that are given to all of those who love Jesus and follow His commandments.

Apply:
I have not been abandoned by God or left on earth as an orphan. In reading this chapter I have noted to following major blessings that are mine:
1. Jesus in completing His work on earth and returning to the Father has enabled me with power to do greater things than even He did. (John 14:12)
2. Jesus and the Father come to me and desire to make their home with me and in me. (John 14:23)
3. The Holy Spirit has been given to dwell in me, to teach me, and to enable me to remember all that has been said to me. (John14:16 & 26)
4. Jesus has taken the same peace that enabled Him to rest, even as He faced the cross, and given it to me. (John 14:27)
5. Jesus makes sure that if I follow close to Him I have the ability to understand things before they happen. (John 14:29)

Pray:
Jesus, I live far below my potential. I live my life more like and orphan left to fend for himself than do I live as an anointed warrior left to carry on with Your mission. The key to unlocking these powerful gifts can only be found by sharing Your heart, obeying Your commands, and following through with Your mission.

Teach me to love You more. I look at the list above and realize that my life does not reflect a greater power than the one You modeled on earth, I do not feel like I dwell with You and the Father in a tangible way, the Holy Spirit is not that active in my life, peace is rarely my closest friend, and I am often caught off-guard by what happens in my life. I confess to You this morning that I believe the reason for these gifts not being fully experienced in my life has to do with my desires to dwell in my flesh.

The deepest longing in my heart is to follow You in a way that enables me to live fully the purpose You have for me on earth and to dwell for eternity in the world You have created in perfection. I ask that You take my life and direct my steps today. Lead me to be a better disciple.

No comments: