Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Four Building Blocks

Read: Romans 8
“No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.” Romans 8:37

Examine:
In this chapter Paul outlines four building blocks of faith that once put in their proper place create the strength required to live for Christ.

Apply:
The first block is freedom from condemnation. There are no eternal consequences for my sins. God disciplines me for my own sake and well-being, but His wrath has been forever removed. No matter how many times I fail, I am forever forgiven and my sins are forgotten.

The second block is the hope for a future glory. There is something important to grasp with this block. Hope means I do not have it yet and therefore will have to wait patiently for it. It is also important to realize that it is a FUTURE glory that is not of this world. There will always be a longing inside of me that can’t be satisfied with things of the earth. My glory is in the world that is to come.

The third block is the very Spirit of God. The same Spirit that led Christ, sustained Him through the cross, and raised Him from the dead has been planted inside of me. THE SAME SPIRIT. I am not weak. I cannot be defeated. God made provision for me to have everything I need to be all that He has called me to be.

The fourth block is sonship. I am not just a sinner saved by grace. I am an adopted son of the King of the earth. I have full rights and a guarantee that nothing can come against what has been given to me in Christ. I also have in Christ a brother who sits at the throne of God and defends me. Nothing has power over me because I am in Christ.

Pray:
My faith does not reflect these four blocks. I still carry with me condemnation. The future glory that You have promised is not a present reality to me. I am weak and defeated more than I am strong in the Spirit and I fail to live with the confidence that comes with knowing I am a son.

I read these promises from Your Word and I believe in them; I just can’t seem to get them into their proper place in my life. Jesus, You have sat where I sit and struggled with the same things against which I struggle. Help me today I pray. Lead me to not only think about these things and believe in them but to also put them into practice.

No comments: