Sunday, April 17, 2011

Do Something Ridculous

Read: Judges 1-2 & Psalm 49, 110
“And the LORD was with Judah, and he took possession of the hill country, but he could not drive our the inhabitants of the plain because they had chariots of iron.” Judges 1:19

Examine:
Israel did not have chariots. Most of the land that they settled was in the hill country, where chariots were completely ineffective. On the flat plains, however, chariots were greatly needed. In this verse Israel fails to complete the task that God had given them because the fight for it would require them to learn to trust Him in new ways. They decided that they had enough and held up short of completing the entire mission handed to them by God. As a result they would eventually reap the effects of this, as the inhabitants they failed to remove would later lead them astray.


Apply:
Following God is not an easy task. It is especially hard when it comes to finishing strong. When God starts me out on a task He normally provides so much clarity that it is impossible for me to miss His direction. As I step out in faith my normal is destroyed. I am continually faced with situations that require me to trust God in new ways. Some days it is easy to find justification to stop short of what He asked me to do. As distance passes from the moment I heard God it becomes increasingly difficult to hold fast to His direction as the weight of the mission builds and uncertainty rises.

Pray:
Father, a great deal of time has passed since I heard Your voice with complete clarity. During this season of uncertainty I have held on to the last word of direction You handed me. I have fought for it and I have not held anything back from You. As best I can from where I am I have stood firm and suffered under the weight of the task You handed me.

I am getting tired Father. Your mission will never fail. You will accomplish what You have started. I know this but as the struggle has intensified I have found that I am incapable of completing what You have started in me. Help me hold fast to the vision that You have given. Restore my confidence today and order my steps. My life is not mine. It is hidden with Christ and the true desire of the deepest part of my heart is to be fully engaged in accomplishing Your mission for the time You have given me on earth.

There are several things weighing on me today and I need to have Your wisdom to sort them out. There are some realities before me that are impossible to overcome unless You strengthen me. I have waited on You until I have put myself at what feels like great risk. I am completely exposed at this point as I have laid my life and this journey out bare before everyone to see. I have held nothing back. I have not been slow to obey You. My only hope is that You will do something ridiculous that proves Your glory, Your power, and Your desire to defend the cause of the orphan, widowed, poor, and oppressed.

No comments: