Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Mirror for My Soul

Read:
“For in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself because you, the judge, practice the very same things.” Romans 2:1

Examine:
“Everyone in the entire human race has turned away from God and commits sins even though there are differences of frequency, extent, and degree. In addition the entire human race, especially moral pagans and the Jews, stood condemned before God (and have no excuse [because God’s judgment is based on three divine standards—truth (2:2-4), impartiality (vv. 5-11), and Jesus Christ Himself (vv. 12-16)—which are absolute and infinite, condemning every person.”-- Bible Knowledge Commentary

Apply:
The sins that I see in others are the mirrors that allow me to see into my soul. When my anger is kindled and my judgment falls on another I should simply fall on my face and confess before God my own guilt.

Pray:
Sin is sin. I judge sin based on a complicated scale of evils that is designed to place my sin on the lesser side and the sins of others on the more evil side. You do not judge this way. Your three standards, truth, impartiality, and Jesus, are consistent and perfect and under these three all fall short of Your glory. I am absolutely no less evil than any other person on the planet. I am equally capable of sin and equally in need of grace.

Over the past few weeks I have allowed my perception of the sins of others to greatly affect me. As a matter of fact I have allowed them to consume me. Injustice angers me, especially when it goes unchecked. I have wanted to see justice and vengeance for my own personal benefit and that is wrong. In doing this, I acknowledge that the sins I have judged are only aspects of myself that I have projected on others.

Forgive my anger. My anger is not holy and it boils over when my way is challenged. Forgive my arrogance and pride as they rise up and demand that I be in control. Forgive my indifference to the pain of others. I get so consumed with my agenda that I overlook the suffering others face and fail to minister to their needs. Forgive my greed. I will stock pile resources and try to make sure that I am covered before I give to the mission You have for others.

Your kindness is meant to lead me to repentance and that is my destination this morning. Father I do not want to judge another person. I repent of my judgment and my own sin today. I want to only be focused on being patient in doing well in my own life. Set before me today Your glory, honor, and eternal life. Allow them to become all consuming passions that will lead me to walk a different path than the one I find myself on today.

No comments: