Friday, April 29, 2011

The Original Sin

Read: Romans 11
“For who has known the mind of the LORD, or who has been His counselor? Or who has given a gift to Him that He might be repaid?” Romans 11:34-35

Examine:
In this chapter Paul is trying to reconcile the Jews and the Gentiles by helping them understand that neither group is superior; they are both equals. This teaching was raising a lot of questions about fairness. “Well, how could God allow” or “What about what God promised in” type of questions were popping up as Paul preached the gospel. Paul addressed these questions with the knowledge he had been given, but he then brought his audience back to the basis of God’s wisdom and sovereignty. The knowledge, plans, and ways of God lie outside the abilities of man to understand.

Apply:
There is a seed in my flesh that desires to be equal with God. This seed was handed down to me from Adam and Eve, as it was the motivation behind their fall. Desiring equality with God was the original sin and will always be at the root of all my issues. Since it is a fair and true statement that striving to be equal with God is the root of my sin, then the solution to any sin in my life is humbling myself under the mighty hand of God.

Pray:
Much of what is going on in my life right now does not make much sense and I am uncertain of exactly how to move forward. My steps are hesitant and my faith is weak. I am seeing things with my eyes that are making me doubt in my heart. Day and night I cry out to You and it seems as though everything remains stuck in the mud. I open Your Word or bend my knees in prayer and it feels as though confusion and silence often are the only things I find. I recognize my sin in this today.

I want to know Your mind. I want to be Your counselor. I want to position myself with You. I desire the universe and all that it contains to function according to what I desire or find to be fair and reasonable. I want to live my life according to my rules and I get upset at You when I don’t get my way. I confess this sin to You and ask Father that You transform this rebellious part of my heart by the power of Your grace.

No comments: