Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Bit of an Edge

Reading: 1 John 2

"My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin." 1 John 2:1


Examination:

For John's audience it was very confusing to move from a rigid system of laws and restrictions to an open system of grace and freedom. For many it was easy to get caught up in freedom and let their behavior slide. The same temptation remains today. John lays out three things that can keep followers of Christ on track.


Application:

Verses one through fourteen call me back to Christ. He is my model for living a sinless life. I can not be of Him and not follow after Him. That said, God also knows that Christ is the only human who was capable of truly living a sinless life. So, He established Christ as my advocate for when I mess up. I need to press myself toward perfectly following after His example, but rest in grace when I come up short.


Verses fifteen through twenty-four call me to not love the world. This world is a beautiful place and there is much to be desired. Every day the lust of my flesh, the lust of my eyes, and my pride of life wage war to be released to pursue their intent. I must stay engaged in this battle. It is easy to slip into bad places. I am never beyond failure. The truth and the strength needed to live in this world without being of this world has been given to me by God; I just have to stay attuned to it.


Finally, verses twenty-five through twenty-nine drive it home by returning my focus to the promise. Eternal life is promised to those who are of Christ. When I received Christ I received an eternal anointing that can never be taken away from me. This world an all its glory can not compare to the eternal riches, joy, and peace that await me when I return to my Father. He has given me all I need to live life to its fullest potential now, and for all of eternity.


Prayer:

Father this morning is a struggle. There is a bit of an edge to me today. My anger feels like it is prowling just under the surface and it has me feeling a bit unstable. I confess that to You this morning. My anger and frustration are powerless to do anything good but are fully equipped to do a great deal of damage. I release my emotions to You this morning and ask that You bring stability to the shakiness I feel inside.


Help me to abide in the Light today. Protect me from stumbling. Enable me to tap into the incredible anointing that You placed in my life through Christ. Open my eyes and ears to Your leading in my life today. I ask that all I do reflect a man who is sold out to Christ, divorced from the world, and sealed with Your promise. Keep me on a good track today.

No comments: