Wednesday, March 17, 2010

More Than Biting My Tongue

Reading: Psalm 39 and 40

"I was mute and silent, I refrained even from good, and my sorrow grew worse. My heart was hot within me, while I was musing the fire burned." Ps 39:1-3


Examination:

David was in a tight spot that had him sideways with a group of people. He tried to just keep his mouth shut, but biting his tongue only served to fuel his anger. Passivity is not a value often seen encouraged by God. It is not healthy and it rarely turns out for the good of anyone. Dealing with conflict requires more than just biting the tongue. David reveals a lot in this passage on how to actively process conflict.


Application:

In dealing with conflict there are a few things to remember. First, keep things in perspective. My life is so brief. It is precious. Every day is an incredible gift for me to leverage into and from which I can find a joyful harvest. Before I get angry, bent, or hurt over a matter I need to make sure that it is worth it. In the grand scheme of things, does the matter really merit my energy? If I decide it is worth the fight, I need to make sure that I not linger on it long and that I deal with it in manner that honors God.


Second, I need to be worried about God's image not mine. For this to be a factor people have to associate me with God. I have to live my life in a way that makes clear my dependency on God and my faith in Him. If God is clearly a part of my life I then must focus on His agenda, plan, and name. The things that offend me should really only deal with things that disturb the holiness of God.


Finally, I need to find a reason to praise God. Even in the midst of unfair attacks and tormenting seasons of evil pursuit I can find reason to praise God. He brought me up out of a broken down life. He has repeatedly proven Himself to be a solid foundation. He considers my sin no more and instead chooses to see me in the perfected image of His Son. God is good. He does things in His way, according to His timing, and for His purpose; but He always does good.


Prayer:

I worry with my image. I want to be successful. I want to be esteemed in the eyes of others. I want to be correct. When something threatens my puffed up image I panic. What will people think? What will they say? Will they suspect sin in my life?


When I feel like You are withholding from me or refusing to offer me relief I turn on You. I get frustrated. I feel like the whole system is broken and is in need of repair. I start shifting and changing in a vain attempt to gain a favorable movement from You.


Father I ask that You take the three simple things that I heard from You today, apply them to the depths of my heart, and quite the foolish thoughts that consume my mind and steal my peace.


You are holy. That is the bottom line of the matter. You have never failed me or abandoned me. You have more than proven Yourself worthy. Help me live my life in a manner today that causes people to notice You.

No comments: