Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Unclear Meaning; Certain End

Reading: 1 Peter 3

"For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; 19 in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, 20 who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah..." 1 Peter 3:18-20


Examination:

The meaning of preaching "to the spirits in prison" is not completely clear, and commentators have explained it in different ways. In any case, the passage shows that Christ's Good News of salvation and victory is not limited. While the full meaning may remain unclear, we can discover that: (1) God speaks. While we puzzle over what, where, and how, we can see that God is communicating to the world. (2) God triumphs. Christ victoriously preached, indicating his power, control, and transcendence over all creation. (3) God saves. God exerts himself to rescue those who desire him. This mysterious passage tells us at least this muchand that is much indeed. (from Life Application Study Bible)


Application:

The only promise life has to offer is uncertainty. The shift from joy to sadness, hope to desperation, confidence to vulnerability, or strength to weakness can literally happen in the blink of an eye. In a matter of seconds everything can turn on a dime. A reckless driver running a red light, a wounding word from a close friend, a child wondering off from home, the experience of a natural disaster, or the sudden loss of a loved one all have the capacity to steal my joy and shatter my faith without warning.


It is a great reminder this morning to know that no matter where I am, no matter what I feel, no matter what I face I can be sure of this: God speaks, God triumphs, and God saves.


Prayer:

There are seasons of life that are simply no fun. They test my faith, press my sanity the brink of breaking, and drain me of my drive. That said, I have learned that they are necessary in breaking my pride. The end of myself is where I have connected with You the most. Strengthen me today to not get lost in the clouds or lose heart in the valley. The current situation may remain unclear, but the end is certain. Keep my eyes and ears turned towards You alone.


Your Word says that You alone are my rock and foundation. Everything else is just sinking sand. While the world can turn on a dime You are absolutely constant. You never change. Silence never means You are far away. Loss never means victory is not Yours. Being overrun never means I have lost the battle.



No comments: