Monday, March 8, 2010

Pure Support

Reading: 2 Peter 3

"This is now, beloved, the second letter I am writing to you in which I am stirring up your sincere mind by way of reminder, that you should remember the words spoken beforehand by the holy prophets and the commandment of the Lord and Savior spoken by your apostles." 2 Peter 3:1-2


Examination:

In this verse, "sincere" is from Latin words meaning, "without wax." Some pottery salesmen would use wax to cover cracks and weak places in pottery. Such a cover-up could be detected only by holding the jug up to the sun to see if any weaknesses were visible.


Application:

There have been seasons of my life when I turned down bad paths. During these seasons I was surrounded by people who helped me justify the stupid choices I was making. Together, we all helped each other cover our cracks with wax. Together, we all joined in sending our lives into a downward spiral.


I do not need those types of friends and I should never allow myself to be that type of friend. True friends care enough about those they love to help them hold their desires, actions, decisions, and behavior up to the pure light of God's will. Good friends care enough to speak the truth even if it puts the relationship at risk. It is impossible to live life for God without PURE support from others.


Prayer:

Just this week I read an article on a well respected man who has evidently allowed himself to get caught up in riches and indulgence. Though I do not know the man, I am sure that he is surrounded by people who are charged with helping him stay out of the ditches. I am sure that as this man looked around the room they all supported and even helped him justify the choices he was making. No one spoke up.


This scenario frightens me. I need for You to fill my heart with the truth of Your Word and for Your Spirit inside of me to be my guide in applying Your Word to my choices.


Father, I ask that You give me the courage I need to speak out against bad choices by friends of my mine and I pray that You lead me to have the humility I need to allow friends to speak truth into my life.

No comments: