Monday, March 22, 2010

Casting Burdens

Reading: Psalm 53, 54, and 55

"Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken." Ps 55:22


Examination:

In this Psalm David called on God to enable him to escape from the oppression that had come through being betrayed by a close friend. In this passage, David fully and truthfully discloses to God his feelings about this situation; yet David did not allow his feelings to overtake his personal confidence in his God who redeems. There are a few things I see that can help me be confident enough in God to cast my burdens on Him.


Application:

First, I have to have a real relationship with God. Trials reveal the truth about my relationship with God. He has to be more real and tangible to me that the struggle I face. If He is not, then there is no way I can cast my burden on Him. I can not trust something that I do not believe is real. I must walk with God in daily intimacy if I am going to learn to trust Him in hard times.


Second, I have to have a righteous case. David says it quite clearly that he has never seen the RIGHTEOUS forsaken. I am an imperfect being and prone to making mistakes. God can only do what is righteous. As I face adversaries I must take the time to assess what side of the fence I am own. Is my case really serving God's purpose? Am I wronging another? Am I ignoring God's call for me to repent and make peace?


Finally, I must fully surrender my defense and restoration to God. The more I study David's life the more convinced I become that the secret to his dependency on God is that he literally surrendered his right to defend himself to God. If God did not do something to save him, David was not going to do anything to save himself. That is the level of trust to which God is calling me. I can only cast my burdens on Him is if am ready to leave the results up to Him.


Prayer:

When I think about the wonders of the universe it is hard to not become overwhelmed by Your greatness. The mountains cry out to You. The heavens declare Your greatness. The beauty of all things created reveal a mystery and complexity that simply boggle my finite mind. The earth and the heavens are so tangible that it is often easier to celebrate the world You created than it is to draw close to You in a dependent relationship. I ask today that You open my eyes to see You in a new way. Help me move to a place with You where the intimacy I enjoy with You is greater than anything contained in the earth.


I pray that I may have the wisdom I need to make choices that are righteous in their intent and outcome. Protect those You have given me leadership over from being subjected an unrighteous leader. Guard those You have given leadership over me from having their trust betrayed by my foolish choices. Elevate my connection with You so that the glory I experience with You will be grater than anything that would come against me.


No comments: