Saturday, March 13, 2010

Guard Against Idols

Reading: 1 John 5

"Little children, guard yourselves from idols." 1 John 5:21


Examination:

John's world was full of idol worship. Most of it seemed to lead all sorts of moral failures. Avoiding the worship of idols was one of the main focuses John had when writing this letter.


Application:

Career. Success. Resources. Toys. Talent. Skills. Relationships. Dreams. Entertainment. Family. Fulfillment. Health.


All these things can create a fairly strong force that will press me into idol worship. In any given day I devote myself to most everything on the above. When placed in proper perspective all the things listed above are great avenues of blessing for my life. When my perspective gets bent, however, these things can become brutal slaves over my life. They can rob my joy, steal my peace, and beat me into submission. One negative report in any of these areas has an instant and lasting impact on me.


So how do I guard myself against elevating these things to idol status in my life? First, I have to give myself to the love of God. The love of God does not contain one single ounce of self-service. It is pure. It is true. It is holy. It is unconditional. It reaches out to every single person I will ever come in contact with and screams to be shared. I have to know that I am loved, understand what that love means, and give it away frequently.


I also have to make firm my beliefs about Jesus. If my beliefs about Jesus are weak then my faith will be weak. He is the Son of God. He sits at the right hand of the Father. He has been given authority over everything. He is my advocate. He has removed my sins. He is...everything.


Finally have to make Him my source. Believing is only part of the battle. I often hold back from asking Him for specific things. I am not sure why I do this. Part of it has to do with the fact that I feel selfish, part of it is that I do not like to ask for things, and part of it is that I really trust my efforts and abilities more. It is easier to pray for God to bless me and then just try to do it on my own.


Prayer:

Idols become tempting when my life becomes empty. My life becomes empty when things become monotonous, anguishing, or frustrating. It is in these moments I often find myself searching for relief. I pray to You asking for it but if You delay in responding or respond in a manner that does not meet my satisfaction I run off in my on direction.


As I sit here tonight I find a deep desire inside of me to experience some change. There are areas of my life that are quite uncomfortable and have been for some time. I hate what I feel right now. The feelings I have right now reveal some very ugly truths about me.


Father, I give myself to You tonight. Regardless of what my emotions or my thoughts are telling me, I confess that I need a manifest expression Your love, a deeper belief in Your Son, and a sold-out dependence on You as my provider. Nothing else will ever replace what You do in the life of someone who honors these three basic beliefs. I ask that You enlighten the eyes of my heart to understand the path You desire for me to walk.

No comments: