Saturday, July 24, 2010

Grabbing Hold of the Present

Read: Proverbs 24

“If you say, ‘See we did not know this,’ does He not consider it who weighs the hearts? And does He not know it who keeps your soul? And will He not render to man according to his work?” Proverbs 24:12

Examine:

There are no excuses in life when it comes to following after God. Ignorance is not a plea nor does it provide a way out. God knows the convictions He Himself has placed in the hearts of men. He knows the thoughts that have been considered and the choices that have been made. In the end, every person will give an account for the full will of God that was revealed in their heart.

Apply:

Reading a verse like this evokes a stirring deep inside of me. There are three responses I sense from this verse. The first is I need to relax. The Word says that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ. My life is in Him. There is nothing I can do to bring condemnation on myself. The day I surrendered I became irrevocably reconciled to God. Regardless of my mistakes I am good. I can’t earn my salvation and I can’t lose it. My peace is in what Christ did; period.

I also need to be contrite. Forgiveness of sin does not abdicate my need to be broken by my mistakes. I need to morn over my failures. I need to acknowledge them and fully experience the pain and weight of them. God loves and heals a contrite heart. He resists a heart that is proud. Owning a mistake and learning from it is a great way to honor the sacrifice of Christ and it is the only way to move forward in becoming more like Christ.

Above all things, this verse is a call to live in the present and be intentional. God is at work. He is opening doors before me and presenting wisdom to me daily. He is directing my steps and every breath I breathe offers an opportunity to advance His cause and deepen my blessings. I need to live every moment of my life with a joyful anticipation of what might be just around the corner. God is active. He is at work. He is constantly planting wisdom in my heart. It is up to me to grab it, understand it, and put it to work in my life.

Pray:

I do not want my life to be about me. I do not want to make choices that are based on the perceived impact they will have on my comfort zone. I want my life to be broken and given away to help people discover their purpose and find resolution to the problems they face. I want to see those who are being repressed find deliverance and those who are tormented by a passion find a way to succeed in it. Father help me join You in bringing to life the wisdom and convictions You have placed in the hearts of other men and women. I ask You for the wisdom, knowledge, and understanding I need to succeed in the call You have on my heart.

No comments: