Friday, July 2, 2010

The "If's" Before the "Then's"

Read: Proverbs 3

"For if you cry for discernment, lift your voice for understanding; if you seek for her as silver and search for her as hidden treasures; then you will discern the fear of the LORD and discover the knowledge of God." Proverbs 2: 3-5


Examine:

Effort must be expended for one to become wise. Eight verbs are used in the first four verses of Proverbs. All these verbs are preceded by the word if. The objects of these verbs are the teacher's words and commands. The "if's" come before the "then's."


Apply:

Getting wisdom involves openness and retention. It demands hearing with the ear and applying with the heart. It necessitates requests and diligent searching. Wisdom, insight and understanding requires faithful labor and a passionate pursuit.


Pray:

I pray and wait all of about five minutes before I get frustrated with having to wait for an answer. I want Your wisdom, but I struggle with remembering the labor part of it. Finding Your love is a labor and a process and I often forget that.


I pray this morning that the eyes of my heart would be enlightened so that I may understand the great riches of Your love, understanding, and wisdom. I pray that my hunger for Your wisdom would be greater than my hunger for money, success, or food.


Father, I continue to struggle with the place You have me. The road ahead of me requires wisdom beyond my experience, faith that is greater than my capacity, and resources that far exceed my capacity. I sit at Your feet this morning and acknowledge my dependency on You to make a way before me.

No comments: