Friday, July 9, 2010

The Labor of Wisdom

Read: Proverbs 9

"Forsake your folly and live, and proceed in the way of understanding." Proverbs 9: 6


Examine:

This chapter contains two invitations; one from wisdom and one from folly. They both are equally offered from the high places of the city and they are both extended to all who pass by.


Apply:

If I am going to accept wisdom's invitation and live my life with her, it will require three main labors. First, I have to accept correction. One of the defining traits of a wise man which separates him from a foolish man is his openness to rebuke and willingness to accept correction or advice. My perception of myself has to be interrupted by the truth of who I really am if I am to grow in my wisdom. I have to forsake myself and be humble enough to allow people to help me grow.


Another labor of wisdom is adding to my understanding and knowledge. Adding to knowledge and understanding requires work and necessitates sacrifice. I must never settle to stay where I am. I have to read things that challenge me, surround myself with people who are ahead of me, slow down enough to make sense out of what is taking place around me, and press myself towards things that are bigger than me.


The final labor in accepting wisdom is to enjoy life. Truly enjoying life is a labor. It requires a lot of hard work and sacrifice on the front end so that I can enjoy better fruit on the back end. Disciplining my kids is hard, but having kids that respect your words is a better joy in life. Walking after Christ is hard, but living a holy life is a better life. Serving my wife as Christ served the church is hard, but having a healthy marriage is a better life. Seeking pure pleasure is not the pathway to a happy life. It is only the labor of wisdom that enables me to truly enjoy my life.


Pray:

Father, the work of wisdom is hard, but the result of foolish choices ends in torment. Keep me on the path today. Help me to swallow my pride and accept correction. Open my mind to increase in knowledge and strengthen my hands to stay engaged in fruitful labor. Sustain me as I deny the immediate gratification offered by foolish choices and provide me with the patience I need to wait on the lasting joy offered my wise choices.

No comments: