Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Pleasure is not the Treasure

Read: Proverbs 7

"My son, keep my words and treasure my commandments within you. Keep my commandments and live, and my teaching as the apple of your eye. Bind them on your fingers; write them on the tablet of your heart." Proverbs 7: 1-3


Examine:

Proverbs 7:1-2

The pupil, the center of the eye, is the most sensitive and carefully guarded of the human body's exposed organs. Most everything that enters the mind enters through the eyes first. Guard the eye well and you will guard your purity well.


Apply:

When I read this verse I am reminded that God is a god of pleasure. He created everything and He deeply desires that I experience pleasure. I am also reminded that chasing after pleasure as one chases after treasure is a fast lane to destruction. Throughout my entire life I have found the consistent pathway to failure has always been me seeking after something pleasurable to fill a hole inside of me. In those moments pleasure becomes the apple of my eye and I am lead around by my appetites which never ends well for me.


Pray:

Father, I want to make Your wisdom and understanding the apple of my eye. I want Your commands written on the back of my hands and I desire Your will to be the only driving force of my heart. I confess to You that Your wisdom and understanding are the only treasure in my life worth pursuing. I pray that You hear this desire of my heart, find it grounded in truth, and grant it to be given to me.

No comments: