Friday, September 17, 2010

Can't Do It Alone

Read: Hebrews 3

"But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called 'Today', so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin." Hebrews 3:13


Examine:

In today's church much is made of the Grace God has extended to us. This is as it should be because Grace is an amazing gift. Hebrews 2 points out that while we do have Grace to cover our failures, we do have to remember that there will be consequences to falling away. To whom much is given much is expected. The generations that have tread the earth following Christ have been given much. The consequences for failing to pursue His calling will be steep. Walking after Christ will never be accomplished alone. It takes a community of believers working together to encourage one another to stay on task.


Apply:

If I am going to be an encourager to others then I have to allow myself to be encouraged because ministry will always be out of an overflow of what is in my heart. This means a couple things for me. First, I have to believe. The writer of Hebrews says to boldly boast in the hope of the Lord. If I do not really believe in my faith no amount of encouragement from others is going to be worth a dime to me. It will just be empty words at best and an annoying sound at worst. I need to know what I know and stand boldly for the truth of God in my heart. If those things are not present then it is foolish to think anyone will be able to pick me up when I fall down.


Second, I have to be transparent. This is an area of my life that God has worked on the most over the past ten years. Some aspects of this have finally become easy. I no longer sweat as I post my journals online. The condemning voice of my enemy can no longer be heard as I share of the mess that is in my past. The pressure I feel to be a super-Christian has greatly diminished. But there is still much to be done. There are secret places in my heart that are not open to visitors. There is still a strong pride in me that wants to refuse help when I am stuck or doubting. I must never stop pushing myself to expose the dark places inside of me to the light.


Once I stand in a strong place and have found encouragement I have to remember that God does not work in my heart for the benefit of me. He works in my heart so that I can be used by Him in the lives of others. I have to be an encourager of others. Everyday, while it is still today, I have to put aside my personal junk and stand in the gap for a brother or sister who has lost connection with the hope inside of them.


Pray:

Father, just as a car without a battery cannot be jump started neither can a empty faith be encouraged. I pray that You instill inside of me a faith that boldly boasts in the hope of Your Son. Let my faith be full today.


It is so tempting to hide the dark places of my heart. They are afraid of The Light. They fight it and the enemy joins them in trying to avoid the healing power of The Light. I pray that I find the courage and strength I need to face my fear of exposure and live my life with great transparency.


I am not sure how good I am at being an encourager. As best I can I try to pay attention to my surroundings and follow Your lead as I observe the lives of others. The ones I see I help. The fear I have are the ones I miss because I am distracted. I pray that You give me ears that hear, eyes that see, and a heart that responds to the hurts of others.

No comments: