Saturday, September 18, 2010

Working the Vineyard

Read: Hebrews 4

"Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience." Hebrews 4:11


Examine:

The call today is for believers to understand that Grace is a free gift that cannot be earned. Once accepted, however, it comes with a huge responsibility. It is like someone giving a person a vineyard. The vineyard was free, but producing good wine requires faithful service and work in the vineyard.


Apply:

I see three things that I need to be diligent with from this text. First, I need to study the past and learn from it. The people of Israel had an amazing word of promise spoken to them while they were in captivity in Egypt. God's promise to them was that they would enter His rest and live in His promised land. This word of promise was made void because they refused to marry it with faith and action. They lost sight of God in the desert and often tried to return to their life without Him. I am subject to the same temptations. I need to know that I am on a journey to my promised land. Life on this earth is the desert for me. I have to work hard to not forget that my reward is an eternal life in a perfected world. This life will pass. The one to come will not. If I forget this, then I open myself up to falling into the same trap experienced by the Israelites in the desert.


Second, I need to stay in the Word of God daily. I have to be diligent in allowing the Word of God to bring clarity to the condition of my heart. Everyday that passes should find me understanding more deeply the darkness of my own flesh and more profoundly understanding the purity of God's Spirit. Only the Word of God is able to judge the depths of my heart, and it is only by His Word that I am able to come to a place of conviction.


Finally, I have to enjoy the pleasure of His grace. When I am convicted of sin in my life there are a few choices I have to make. I can ignore it or dismiss it. I can become guilty and disqualify myself from being worthy. I can become angry at falling short and run away from God in frustration or I can joyfully run to God, confess it, and enjoy deeper levels of rest and peace. Jesus understands and He gave His life so that I never have to again experience guilt or condemnation.


Pray:

In my arrogance I often read of the Israelites journey to the promised land and dismiss them as being ridiculous. I judge them harshly and often mock their failures. I ask that You forgive my pride because I am no better. In fact, I am worse. They never tasted the gift of salvation through Christ. They were not able to experience the indwelling of Your Holy Spirit. It was never possible for them to access You directly and call You Father. I have been given all these things and still I, just like them, will turn my back on You if things do not consistently go my way. I ask that You forgive me for trading my faith for the foolishness of seeking my own way.


I need the work of Your Word in my life. I don't want to miss a chance for You to divide the works of my heart and allow me to see the truth about who I am and what I am doing. All things are made clear by a word from You and I pray that I am able to hear the word that You daily make available to me.


I am holding fast to my confession this morning that my only hope is in Your grace. I have learned to dance when You convict me of failure in my life because I know it allows me to enter deeper into Your grace. I pray that the joy of my salvation and the elation of finding Your cleansing will never cease to amaze me. My heart is full this morning with appreciation, peace, rest, and assurance. I am guilty in my deeds, but untouchable through Your grace. Thank you.

No comments: