Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Three Stays

Read: Galatians 5

"For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but trough love serve one another." Galatians 5:13


Examine:

Man has a way of confusing the mess out of anything. If left to ourselves man normally takes Christianity and turns it into one of two extremes; legalism or hedonism. Legalism takes the form of do's, don’ts and comparison to others. When this happens the beauty of the gospel becomes an ugly stick that self-righteous hypocrites use to beat other people down. Hedonism takes the form of freedom from guilt. I get to live my life according to my rules and my religion allows me to do this with no obligation to God other than to ask Him for blessing and be thankful for His forgiveness. This chapter speaks to these two extremes and introduces the one thing that balances them: Faith that works and serves through love.


Apply:

I have to stay free. It is really easy to add to my faith works that are not holy. These unhealthy ad-to's normally are preceded by the phrase, "I really need to." I really need to get up and pray. I really need to go to church. I really need to read my Bible. I really need to give some money. I really need to...fill in the blank. This phrase is normally accompanied by pressure, fear, or guilt. Legalism is not what Christ died to create. His death abolished pressure, fear, and guilt. I am free from those things and I need to take care so that I am not sucked back into trying to earn my salvation.


I also have to stay pure. The freedom created by Christ is not intended to serve my flesh. I do not get to live a carnal life. The call of Christ is to live according to the Spirit; not the flesh. I have to set my heart on the things listed in verses twenty-two and twenty-three of this chapter. The Holy Spirit in me will always produce these things. My freedom in Christ is intended to remove the burden of religion and make it possible for the Spirit of God to produce the fruit of God in my life. I am free and there is no condemnation since I am in Christ; but, genuine salvation will always produce the fruit of the Spirit.


I have to stay engaged in service. Christianity is completely free legalism, but it is literally impossible to experience Christ and not see this experience manifest itself in terms of service. My faith must express itself in works. These works do not earn my salvation; they prove it. These works do not earn the presence of God in my life; they express it. Everything God does in my life He does with the intention of blessing the people observing my life or touched by my life. I have to connect my heart with the things of God and then run after them with great intention, effort, and determination. Faith without Kingdom works is dead at best and false at worse.


Pray:

Galatians 5:16 tells me that if I walk by the Spirit I will not carry out the desires of my flesh. Then verse seventeen tells me that the things of my flesh set themselves against me walking by the Spirit. This tension creates inside of me deep turmoil. I am split between the desire to do good and the cravings of my flesh to live for myself. I want to apply the truth of Your Word today and walk according to Your Spirit inside of me. Help me walk free of legalism, steer clear of hedonism, and free my faith to produce the work it is intended to accomplish. You and I both know the struggles I will face in carrying out this simple prayer. My flesh is deceptive and strong and it often produces a man who is stubborn and easily led astray. Keep my heart connected with Your voice. I pray that my every step be aligned with the desire of Your heart.

No comments: