Monday, September 20, 2010

Drinking Rain

Read: Hebrews 6

"For ground that drinks the rain which often falls on it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God; but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and close to being cursed, and it ends up being burned." Hebrews 6:7-8


Examine:

The writer of Hebrews uses the imagery of land to paint a picture that believers only have two options. We will either produce vegetation that represents good spiritual fruit or we will produce thorns and thistles. Good vegetation invites the blessing of God. Thorns and thistles bring fire. The issue of personal growth and advancement of the Kingdom should never be taken lightly.


Apply:

I need to drink the rain that often falls on me. God speaks to me everyday. There is not a single day of my life that God is not active around me. I need to soak Him up. Every word that He speaks has the power to bring healthy growth. I need to make sure that the soil of my heart is tilled and that good seed has been sown. This requires work on my part.


The good vegetation that grows in my heart is intended for others. I need to constantly remember that God works in me so that others may be strengthened and that I will need the fruit of others to sustain my growth. Sometimes it is really easy to get sucked into becoming self-centered. I want to keep what God is doing in me for myself and I don't like depending on others. God refuses to allow me to become isolated and self-sufficient. I need to freely give of myself to others and be humble enough to admit I need something from other people.


Thorns and thistles are problems only solved by fire. Here is the great thing about this verse. Fire does not destroy the land; it only destroys the thistles and thorns. There is nothing fun about God clearing out unused or misused areas of my heart but it opens the door for me to allow Him to re-till these areas and start over with a new crop. My poor choices lead to poor consequences but the Grace of God insures that the end result of my life is a chance to start fresh.


Pray:

I want to show the diligence required to realize the full assurance of the hope that You have planted in my heart. I want to imitate those who have gone before me and through faith and patience inherit Your promises. You have been more gracious to me than I could have ever hoped or imagined. Teach me to be a better steward of the condition of my heart. I am prone to becoming lazy with it. I need to wake up each day and be content to faithfully till my heart, sow good seeds, and nurture good growth. I also need to fully embrace the truth that You desire for Your children to share crops with each other. Help me to be humble enough to ask for help and generous enough to freely give to others.


When it comes to thorns and thistles the process of burning is not so much fun. It is painful. It is scary. There are times when the smoke becomes so thick and the heat of the fire so intense that I fear I will not make it. Sometimes I stand and stare at the charred mass of land stretching out before me and the work of replanting it seems overwhelming. I ask that You help me not be slothful in this work. Starting over is painful, but the opportunity to go back and get it right is priceless.


You have sworn by Your Great Name that You will be faithful to complete the work that You started in me. This hope is a steadfast anchor for my soul and my only source of hope and strength. Thank You for Your presence in my life.

No comments: