Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Confusing Voices

Today's Reading: Jeremiah 35:15 & John 20


Scripture:

"Also I have sent to you all My servants the prophets, sending them again and again, saying, 'Turn now every man from his evil way and amend your deeds...'" Jeremiah 35:15


Observation:

God does not just sit back, let people fail and then zap them. He actively works to keep His people on the right path.


Application:

God is actively working in my life. That is worth repeating to myself. God is actively working in my life. He is speaking to me everyday.


Satan is also actively working against my life. He is speaking to me and against me. He is sending people to me and through them offering me very sound advice.


My flesh is also actively working in my life. There is a saboteur inside of me who works against my life becoming all that God has planned for it to be.


And so I get confused. It would be easier if God just spoke directly to me using a deep, Charlton Hesston voice coming from a cloud or rock or if satan spoke in a evil, Freddy Kruger voice. But that is not how it happens. The voices all sound eerily similar at times and being deceived, getting confused or justifying sin is not that hard at all.


Prayer:

Your sheep know Your voice. That is the confession I sense in my heart this morning. Regardless of what my emotions tell me I believe that You are actively seeking me. I believe that Your voice is always before me offering me the direction that I desperately need.


I also confess to You that I do not always like what Your voice is saying to me. As I look back over my life and view my mistakes, pain, or failures I almost always see a pattern of me ignoring advice that would have led me in Your direction. Just as You said in this verse from Jeremiah the prophets spoke to me time and time again; yet I did not hear.


Father I ask that You help me dial into Your voice. Hide Your truth in my heart, open my eyes to Your ways, and align my desires with Your Holy Spirit. In the moment when that happens the voice of my shepherd rings loud in my ears and the way I should go becomes evident.

No comments: