Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Stay Engaged

Today's Reading: Jeremiah 38:20 & 2 John 1


Scripture:

"Watch yourselves, that you do not lose what we have accomplished, but that you may receive a full reward." 2 John 1:8


Observation:

Complacency is defined as a feeling of quiet pleasure or security, often while unaware of some potential danger, defect, or the like; self-satisfaction or smug satisfaction with an existing situation or condition. This morning's word is a shot across the bow warning me to not be complacent with my faith.


Application:

Much is said of the permanence of my salvation. I am forever assigned to God and nothing can ever change that. Once I surrendered to God through Christ; I became secure. As beautiful a gift as that is, it is not an invitation to become complacent. I must stay on engaged in my journey with God. There are three ways to do this.


First, I need to listen. God speaks. I believe that He constantly makes attempts to stay in contact with me. He has plans for me. His Word promises that He will guide me. I must allow the Holy Spirit to create inside of me a desperation to hear from My God.


Second, I need to be about my Father's business. The life of any believer, at any place, and at any time must be turned towards the Father's mission of making disciples. Regardless of where I find myself I must be prayerful in seeking out an opportunity to join the Holy Spirit in His redemptive work.


Finally, I need to endure. Life is a grind. This is not a pessimistic point of view; it is reality. Nothing in life is that is cheap or easily attainable is worth anything. Why should I expect my faith to be anything less than a noble challenge, a worthy pursuit, and a deep accomplishment?


Prayer:

Father I need to stay engaged. I pray that my life be clearly marked as a man who sought after Your heart, listened to Your voice, acted at Your direction, and endured to the very end.


Be my strength today when I am weak, be my voice when I struggle to find words, be my peace when my anger stirs, be my wisdom when my thoughts become cloudy, and be my all consuming desire when the cost of following You becomes overwhelming.

No comments: