Saturday, August 22, 2009

Kicking Out the Bad

Today's Reading: Jeremiah 29:11-13 & 1 John 3


Scripture:

"I will visit you and fulfill my good word to you..." Jeremiah 29:10


Observation:

There are days and seasons in which life really piles up and things can get rough. During those times it is often easy to lose sight of important truths. Once important truths give way, doubt takes hold. Once doubt takes hold stability is taken away. Once stability is gone life gets miserably painful.


Application:

This morning's reading reminds me of a few truths that I need to return to when stability leaves my life. First, I need to kick condemnation out of my heart. 1 John 3:20 tells me that whatever my heart condemns me of, God is greater. I will slip and fall short. There is no way of escaping that. The worse response I can have to my mistakes is to allow them to condemn me before God. My sins are covered. Once I professed faith in Jesus and surrendered my life to Him I was forever wiped clean. Unless I am trying to run from what I know He has asked of me; nothing in my life can merit panic or feelings of abandonment.


Second, I need to kick fatigue out of my heart. There are seasons of frustration, pain or doubt that often leave me feeling fatigued. The anguish in my soul wears on me and I begin to tire. Jeremiah 29:13 reminds me that God sees the end from the beginning and no matter where I am He will ultimately see me prosper. I just have to hold firm to my faith, stay aligned with His will, and trust in what I can not see.


Finally, I have to kick hesitation out of my heart. The entire chapter of 1 John 3 speaks to the lifestyle of a believer. I can not be of Christ and not have compulsions to express Christ's love to others. My life must bear fruit. The seed of Christ in me must sprout. There is a side of me that fights this. I hesitate to act on what God places on my heart. I do this by doubting myself, becoming intimidated, or by letting confusion set in. In the moment I feel a Holy conviction I need to act in great haste.


Prayer:

Condemnation, fatigue, and hesitation are three bad dudes that have no dwelling place in my heart. They form three of the nastiest things I could every have inside of me. I know them well. The destruction they have brought upon my life is untold.


I pray this morning that You help me find the strength to kick this mess out of my heart. In the midst of condemning thoughts I pray that my salvation in Your Son be made evident to me. Underneath the weight of fatigue I pray that the promise of Your Word strengthen me to stand. When paralyzed by hesitating thoughts I pray for the surge of boldness I need to jump forward.

No comments: