Friday, August 21, 2009

Making Trials Work

Today's Reading: Psalm 118; Jeremiah 25:7 & 1 John 2


Scripture:

"This is the LORD's doing; it is marvelous in our eyes. This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:23-24


Observation:

To live on this earth is to experience difficulties. There is no escaping it. There is no denying it. They will come and when they do, it is so easy to lose perspective. 364 consecutive days of good can be set aside on one bad day and an entire year will be judged a failure.


Application:

This chapter points out a few things that help keep my head level during rough spots. First, accept God's discipline. Hard times have a way of drawing me into God's presence and they open me up to receive instruction. It is a shame to waste a trial by not examining myself before God and allowing Him to make me stronger.


Second, I have to return my thinking to the greatness of God. Trials seem so big at the time. My emotions crank up as the temperature of the circumstances rise and it is very easy for God to be distant and vague. In the heat of the moment my job, money, man, relationships, or any other form of threat can become greater in my mind than the God I serve.


Third, I need to call out to God. Once my conscience is clear and my thoughts of God have been strengthened, I need to call out to Him. Sometimes trials force me into praying, "if you are out there would You do something" type of prayers. Those prayers are useless. In the face of adversity, I need to pray to God not wondering if He will do something; I need to pray to God knowing He will do something.


Finally, I need to align myself with God. The word does not say that God will defend anyone who prays to Him. He fights for those who walk in His ways. He defends those who abandon their lives to seek His. He upholds those who are fighting for Himj.


Prayer:

So often the very things that have the greatest potential to draw me close to You send me running from You instead. Father, I want to better learn how to make trials work for my benefit.


Teach me to walk in what You have taught me this morning. I ask that my heart always be open to your correction. I pray that my thoughts of You constantly be expanded. I beg that my life be aligned with Your greatest desires for it.

No comments: