Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Walking in Truth

Today's Reading: Jeremiah 51:15-19 & 3 John


Scripture:

"For I was very glad when brethren came and testified to your truth, that is how you are walking in truth" 3 John 1:3


Observation:

Stories of people's lives spread through the words spoken by others. Very often I hear word of someone I have not seen in quite some time and I am either joyful at hearing about what is taking place in their life or I am broken by it.


The same is true of me. The testimony of my life will be shared by the words of those who observe me. They will not speak of what I tell them; they will speak of what they see and sense in me. They will observe me in action and base their opinions from that.


Application:

God did not design me to be pleasing to man but He does command me to be a good steward of my reputation. This verse takes all the complication of the scripture and grinds it down to its simplest form; walk in Biblical truth. It falls on me to actively seek the truth of God's Word and walk in it. The kindness, love, purity, faithfulness, power and purposefulness of Christ should radiate in all that I do.


Prayer:

Father I ask that I be made by Your power. There is a side of me who knows no way other than to be a self-made man. I set my sights on a goal, assess my condition and then work to make it happen. These are good traits but if I am honest with You I often do it out of my own power and will. I confess that to You this morning and ask that You teach me what it means to use the natural abilities You have given me but to be dependent upon Your power.


Father I also ask that I be established by Your wisdom. There are days that I feel like I struggle to just gain traction. I fight run all day but it seems as if nothing I do ever really takes hold. Father, pour Your wisdom out on me today and establish the things that You desire for me. I pray that every word I speak, every thought I have, and every plan I craft be firmly founded in Your wisdom.


Finally Father I ask that I be stretched out by Your understanding. I want more of You. I want every trait of Christ to be known in the truth of my walk. When I return to You I want You to be pleased with the fruit of my life. I pray that I be filled with every ounce of understanding I need to take what You started in me and stretch it to its fullest capacity. May my every step expand the desires and purposes You have for my life.

No comments: