Monday, August 10, 2009

Peer Pressure

Today's Reading: Jeremiah 5:20-31 & John 12


Scripture:

"for they loved the approval of men rather than the approval of God." John 12:43


Observation:

Peer pressure refers to the influence exerted by a peer group in encouraging a person to change his or her attitudes, values, or behavior in order to conform to group norms.


While peer pressure is often only spoken of in terms of kids; it is a plague that attacks adults as well. The circumstances change and our reactions to peer pressure shift; but the question of how will my circle of friends, family, and co-workers react still weighs on the minds of most adults.


Application:

Whether I chose to defy the peer group out of spite or conform to it to avoid conflict; I am allowing myself to be controlled by the opinion of others. In this morning's reading I have observed a couple things that will allow me to combat my fear of man issues.


First, I need to get back to a healthy fear of God. I am not sure how it happens or when, but I feel like I constantly drift back and forth between too extreme views of God. My emotions seem to want to interpret Him as being a bully in the sky or a soft, loving grand-dad. He is neither of these things and the result of falling into either one results in me not respecting God. I need to put my emotions aside and remember the power, majesty, strength, and awe that is in my God. I need to be reminded that nothing of this earth is above Him.


Second, I need to get back the lordship of Christ over my life. The day I surrendered to Christ is the day I chose to give up control of my life. I can never lose my salvation and I can also never regain control of my life. I think sometimes I want to rest in the permanence of my salvation but rebel against my loss of control. The truth is I can't have one without the other.


Third, I need to actively seek the Light. I need to be after God's heart. The life of a Christian is not passive. It is not intellectual. It is not legalistic. It is not dead. The life of a Christian is a passionate pursuit of a mission that exceeds anything the world has to offer. It is an adventure beyond compare, a love beyond description, and a reward beyond imagination.


Prayer:

In the complicated clamoring of the world I live in it is so hard to keep first things first. I run in circles trying to achieve greatness in my work, my marriage, my family, my relationships and my own well being.


I am so very grateful of Your word to me today. It has reconnected me with the only three things my life must be about: my God, my Lord, and my mission. I ask today that You center me on how to rise above the pressures created by my peers and stay focused on You, Your Son, and Your mission.

No comments: