Saturday, May 1, 2010

Hostile Leadership

Read: Romans 13

"Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God..." Romans 13:5


Examine:

Paul was living in a hostile political climate to say the least. The Jewish leadership were attempting to kill him or have him executed. The Roman government could turn on him in a heartbeat and all the freedom he had could be stripped away in a moment's notice. If anyone had a case to rebel against the authority over him it was Paul. In the midst of hostile leadership, Paul gives three really practical things for a believer to keep in mind.


Apply:

I should never elevate a man's position over the sovereignty of God. This chapter teaches that all positions of authority are established by God. Resisting a person in leadership over me is countering the will of God. This is not always a truth I like to hear. It does not mean that I sit back and do nothing, but it does mean that I stay in submission, fight the fight using spiritual tactics, and never think that any leader in my life can thwart the will of God for my life.


I must also render to leaders in my life what is due to them. It is not enough to just submit verbally. I have to give them all that I have in pursuing all that they lay before me. As long as they do not ask me to counter God's Word I have to honor them, respect them, and even sacrifice for them.


Finally, I can allow hostile leadership to fuel my fleshly desires. Being under bad leadership creates hardship and pressure. Hardship and pressure drain life. The draining of life fuels temptations of every kind. A bad day at work or fear created by poor leadership can send me searching for relief. The pursuit of relief can take me to some really dark places.


Pray:

There is not a leader in my life who has not been granted their authority over me by You. I ask that through me You bless them with a great servant. Whether it is my wife, my pastor, my boss, or my government Your call on my life is for me to give myself in helping them succeed. As long as they are not asking me to make a choice counter to You I am obligated to do what is asked of me to the best of my abilities.


There is a line in this chapter that calls me to put on Christ and make no provision for my flesh. I ask that You lead me in that today.


Help me to walk in love; I ask that everything I think, do and say be grounded in love for You and love for others. Fill me with truth; I ask that I not make choices based on bad information. Ground me today in humility; I ask that I have a healthy sense of who I am in You. Empower me in service today; I ask that you compel me towards the mission that You have for my life.

No comments: