Saturday, May 15, 2010

Dare to be Bold

Read: Psalm 70 and 71

"I will come with the mighty deeds of the Lord God..." Psalm 71:16


Examine:

The Psalmist in this Psalm is never identified. He is an old man who has walked with God since he was a young man. Throughout his life, the Psalmist has seen many ups and downs. In this Psalm he is enduring a season of hardship. The old man in this Psalm offers a great deal of wisdom.


Apply:

I need to understand that I will never stop facing adversity. There is a part of me that wonders if I will arrive one day and stop facing trials or fully see my longings settled. The answer is no. As long as I reside on this side of heaven I will have troubles. Any hope contrary to this is not hope; it is empty and wishful thinking. My ambition in life can not be to live a trouble free life. The only ambition that does not disappoint is for me to be determined to reflect the greatness of God through the results of my life.


In order for this to happen I have to walk with God. God is not simply a bailout strategy. He is not a panic button or a form of meditation. He is a God who comes with power and might. He wants me to submit my life to Him and walk after Him daily. I need to lean on Him continually. I need to release to Him my worries and my concerns. I need to draw close to Him and learn to live by His counsel and wisdom. Every ounce of desperation and desire I have should be pointed towards a great drive to experience God.


I need to dare to be bold. The Psalmist in this Psalm had absolute confidence that he would "come with the mighty deeds of the Lord God." I am often tempted to face a trial with more of a "Jason might not make this" attitude. This really does not make any sense. If I really believe in the God I say I believe in why would I ever hesitate? I need to stop living conservatively and start pressing myself talk to reflect a man who knows that God is for Him. As long as I am pursuing His heart and will for my life; there is nothing that should concern me. Troubles will find me, trials will test me, and terror will try to seize me; but the Lord God will bring me trough with mighty deeds that are fitting to a Mighty God.


Pray:

I must confess that I have had a rough week. I have allowed my mind to wonder and invited worry, stress, and anger to consume much of my attention and energy. I have allowed my desire to find rest to press me into a near desperate state and honestly have wiped myself out. This is not a good way to live life. I am grateful that You love me enough to speak truth to me. I confess my doubt and frustration to You this morning. As best I can from where I am I release to You the outcomes that have so consumed me this week.


In You Lord I take refuge. I ask that You turn towards me and set my feet upon firm ground. Enable me to boldly trust in the promises You have made. Open my heart to accept the truth of Your word and the greatness of Your plans. I ask that the path You have for me be illuminated and that the results of my life will boldly declare Your greatness.

No comments: