Monday, May 3, 2010

Facing Trials

Read: Romans 15

"Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13


Examine:

Self-denial on behalf of others is the context of the verses that proceed this one. Paul takes the time to write to the church of Rome to make sure that they understand they cannot pursue the peace of God and be at odds with each other. In his teaching there are some very real and practical things for me to know.


Apply:

Right off the bat in verse one I am reminded that I have to bear the weaknesses of others just like others will have to bear my weaknesses. This sounds good in theory but in its application the battle is rough. We are all broken people. As such, we can do some really nasty things to each other. The call of verse one is to release my expectations for peace to be defined as an absence of conflict. There will be conflict. There will be betrayal. There will be unjust words that inflict pain. I need to accept this and allow my prayers to reflect this reality.


Second, I am reminded in verse four of the importance of living in the Word. The Bible is more than just words on a page. It is more than just wisdom passed down from a man. It is the living, breathing, inspired word of God and everything that is in it has the intended purpose of strengthening me to persevere trials and find hope. I may not always find answers to my problems, but I can always count on it to strengthen me to stay in the fight and provide me with sustaining hope.


Finally, I have to choose to let things go. Bitterness eats away at hope. I cannot harbor hate and harbor God. I cannot harbor anger and harbor peace. I cannot harbor doubt and harbor faith. No man can serve two masters. The things to which I cling are the things that will direct my life. I need to cling to forgiveness. I need to cling to peace. I need to cling to faith.


Pray:

Father,

There is nothing easy about what You have given to me in this reading. Everything in my flesh has awakened and is at war against the truth of Your word. I want peace and faith fueled by strong hope, but I also want to respond to the wrongs of others and win the arguments they have started. I cannot be a man of war and a man of peace. I must chose one and sacrifice the other.


I confess to You this morning that this is beyond my ability. The application of this is more than a theory or thought. I can see specific faces. I can recall specific conversations. I am living through some very real trials right now. Choosing to release the offenses I feel is something that I cannot do on my own.


I give to You my sin. I have allowed my desire to be right to create anger inside of me. I have allowed my desire to be vindicated to fuel my flesh and in the process rob me of my peace. I ask that You forgive me of this.


Change my heart today. I ask that You secure me in the promises of Your word. I do not pray for escape, but I do ask that in the midst of the war I am in and the battles that loom ahead, that You fill me with hope, joy, peace, and the power of the Holy Spirit. Take me to a secret place where my soul can rest in green pastures even as I walk through difficult times.

No comments: