Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Persevering Trials

Read: James 1

"Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him." James 1:12


Examine:

Trials are clearly part of spiritual growth. Contrary to some of today's Christian teaching, following Christ does not mean living an easy life. The scriptures all point to a central theme of war, battles, struggles, and testing. Any expectations to the contrary must be released and followers of Christ must gird up and strap it on. James gives us a few ways to do that in the first twelve verses of chapter one.


Apply:

Stop sulking and get excited. No trial will ever overwhelm me. No struggle will ever beat me completely down. The absolute worst this world has to offer can only serve to strengthen the eternal riches that I will inherit. A bad attitude or depressed emotions will do nothing but put at risk the good that can come of a trial. If I truly believe in God, if I truly believe in my position in Christ, then why would I allow a trial to do anything but increase my joy and strengthen my faith?


Stop wondering and start asking. God is not some cosmic concept. He is alive. He is active. He is a God who draws near. He is a God who moves and responds. He is the one true God. He is the Master of the Universe. I never have to be without any wisdom I need to accomplish anything He sets before me. I need to passionately pursue God's wisdom and movement above everything else in life.


Stop waffling and start standing firm. Be a man. Be firm. Be bold. The life of a Christ follower is not a passive journey through earth. I can not doubt God and hold to faith. The word says that I can not expect to experience God and doubt him at the same time. I may have one but not the other. I need to lose my excuses, lay to rest my fears, unpack my questions, and just believe.


Pray:

You have never abandoned me and You never will. You have never let me down and never will. You have never withheld Your joy from me and never will. These truths are at the core of my heart and I know them to be perfect.


Managing my emotions during the weight and pressure of a trial is not an easy task. I get cranked up and frustrated. I get angry and lose control of my thoughts and my tongue. I make foolish choices and carry myself away from You. I ask that you forgive me for allowing the discomfort of trials to lead me to sinful choices.


I ask today that You fill my heart with joy. My life is Yours and all that is in it belongs to You. In the midst my struggles and trials I ask that You allow my joy to be full in knowing that good will result if I persevere.


I ask that You give me wisdom today. I am not smart enough to navigate the things that are before me today. I am not strong enough to stand against the forces that I face. You alone possess the wisdom and knowledge I need and I ask You for an abundance of it.


Holy Spirit, make my faith complete today. I am prone to wondering and waffling. I ask that You make my faith a strong tower. Make me stand firm today and be unflappable in my confidence of Your movement in my life.

No comments: